Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Fall Tradition

"A better life, I don't know,
every night a picture show,
Mountains painted by the setting sun,
I'm one lucky son of a gun."

 -Wylie and the Wild West, 'When I'm riding I'm right.'


 Yonderosa Free Range Cattle
There is a long tradition of open range grazing in this area.  The Yonderosa Meadow is frequently visited by the free range cattle.  They do a pretty good job with the mowing and fertilizing ...  The dogs are entertained by them too.  Their scratching on the cabin is annoying...  I get my revenge by ordering a steak.  

 
The cowboys have their work cut out for them as local herd is widely scattered after a summer of grazing on thousands of fence-less acres.  We enjoy watching them work.  The horses are especially impressive and seem to know instinctively how to gather the beeves, no matter how willful and stubborn.



2 comments:

  1. Loved the songs! They are so true. I feel that way when were at our Mountain Home. We're going up this weekend to mow and enjoy the pretty leaves! Enjoyed your photos!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were lucky enough to see a few "round-ups" while out west. It's really neat to see, and makes for a kind of different traffic jam (the GOOD kind!)

    ReplyDelete